|Ministry of Lands, Housing & Survey.
P.O.Box G38, Honiara
Telephone: 677-21512 Facsimile: 677-21514
VACANCY NUMBER: 01/2008
POST TITLE: Commissioner of Lands
RESPONSIBLE TO: Permanent Secretary
CLOSING DATE: 30/04/2008
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced people for the following vacant posts. Women and men from all provinces are encouraged to apply. Detailed job description(s) follow this section.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL POTENTIAL APPLICANTS
Please read the information below and if you have any questions, contact Charles Suifa'asia. If you are shortlisted, you will be advised by the Ministry of Lands Housing and Survey and a time for an interview with the panel will be arranged. The Department/Agency will advise you at that time about what documents and information you should bring to your interview.
Please check the four (4) documents that will be looked at by the selection panel when they are shortlisting. These documents are listed below. Then you can decide if the application that you have already submitted describes your 'Qualifications and Experience' in the best possible way. If you have any questions about the process contact Charles Suifa'asia on Telephone: 21512 or 28600
THE DOCUMENTS THAT ARE REQUIRED
Document 1: PS Form 1 - Application for Employment- Solomon Islands Public Service, Cover Sheet.
Document 2: Letter of Application .A standard format - Information Sheet 1 is available from the Ministry of Lands Housing & Survey. Honiara,, or from PF Net email Stations. You can use your own format if you prefer. An Application letter should include a section where the applicant makes comments against the Selection Criteria which are listed separately for each post. Applicants are advised to comment against each of the selection criteria. Applicants need to note that this part of their application, together with their CV will be used by the panel when the short listing process is being undertaken.
Document 3: Curriculum Vitae (CV). A standard format - Information Sheet 2: is available from the, Ministry of Lands Housing & Survey Honiara, or from PF Net Email Stations. You can use your own format if you prefer.
Document 4: Certified copies of your qualifications. You will need to post or hand deliver the certified copies of your qualifications, as these cannot be sent by email. Do NOT send originals.Please Note: All documents submitted as part of the application will remain the property of the Solomon Islands Government and will not be returned to applicants.
If you want to ask any questions:
(a) About the application and its requirements OR
(b) About responsibilities and duties
Please contact: Charles Suifa'asiaTHE JOB
Telephone: 21512 or 28600
The Commissioner for Lands is a statutory position with prime responsibility for overseeing the control and allocation of government land according to the requirements of the Land and Titles Act and in compliance with the policies of the government of the day. Under proposed amendments to the Act, the Commissioner will serve as secretary to the Land Board. Responsible for preparation of policy submissions and guidelines on land administration tasks that address the priorities of the SI Government.
1. To oversee the administration of the Land and Titles Act, including recommendations for statutory appointments.
2. Until gazettal of the Land and Titles (Amendment) Bill, to oversee the control and allocation of government land according to the requirements of the Land and Titles Act and in compliance with the policies of the government of the day. Upon gazettal of the Land and Titles (Amendment) Bill, the Commissioner of Lands will serve as a member of the Lands Board, and may be asked to serve as Secretary to the Board.
3. As requested by the Permanent Secretary/PMRG, to prepare policy submissions and guidelines on land administration tasks that address the priorities of the SI Government and to advise the Minister, as often as requested to do so, concerning land policy and practice in the Solomon Islands.
4. Until gazettal of the Land and Titles (Amendment) Bill, to delegate the control and management by notice, subject to such conditions and restrictions that may be specified in the notice, of any interest in land vested in the Commissioner to officers of the public service or to local government councils.
5. To institute or defend any legal proceeding under the Commissioner's official title in liaison with the Attorney General's chambers and with any legal advice that may be required from time to time.
6. To acquire land on behalf of the Government, as specified in the Land and Titles Act.
7. On written authorisation of the Land Board, to carry out specific tasks as specified in the Land and Titles (Amendment) Bill.
8. supporting documents and to thoroughly review and analyse all policy/resource proposals submitted to the PMRG and to comment objectively on their risks, feasibility, potential to achieve the desired results and cost-effectiveness.KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION:
- At least ten years work experience dealing with land administration process in the Solomon Islands.
- A thorough working knowledge of the Land and Titles Act and demonstrate and understanding of the principles of the Land and Titles (Amendment) Bill.
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- High standing in the community, with a high level of respect for his or her integrity and honesty.
- A proven track record in impartial decision-making according to legislative requirements and in following-up on the implementation of these decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and stress to achieve work deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and make sound decisions that will stand up to public scrutiny.
- Would be expected to work outside normal working week to complete duties.
- Regular travel to regional stations will be required.